The statistics for how many people use their gym memberships on a regular basis are never impressive. According to StatisticBrain.com, 67 percent of people with gym memberships never use them. Another report published in theOregon Live found that four out of five memberships go unused, except in the first few days of the New Year.
During the holidays, getting people into the gym is even harder than normal. People are busier with holiday shopping, wrapping presents, cooking meals, decorating the home, traveling and having family stay with them. The last thing people want to do is drag themselves into the cold for a workout.
Of course, you care about people and want them to stick to their goals even if it’s the holiday season. You understand how much harder it is to get back into shape if you haven’t been to the gym in a while or haven’t worked out in a long time. But at the same time, you must relate to your members. If you fail to understand them, they could get fed up and discontinue their membership altogether. So why not work with your members and help them to make exercise a priority through the hustle and bustle of the holiday season?
The best way to accomplish this is through technology. More fitness clubs are offering streamed exercise classes that their members can take advantage of at home. Your members can work out at night, first thing is the morning or right in the middle of the day depending on their schedule. They can reap the benefits of being part of your gym and having someone to account to. It’s a win-win situation for everyone, and you can finally offer a solution for the following scenarios:
- Extended family is in town and people don’t want to leave the home to go to the gym.
- Inclement weather when there’s snow or freezing rain and members don’t want to drive.
- Beating the winter blues when people aren’t motivated to leave their home and work out when it’s dark and cold.
- The kids are sick and no sitter wants to come and watch them just so the parent can squeeze in a workout.
- Having no dependable vehicle that drives well in the snow or cold, wintry weather.
- Lack of time due to decorating, entertaining, shopping, cooking and so forth. A quick workout can be done in the time it takes for an apple spice cake to cook!
Don’t forget other ways to use technology to keep connected to your members over the holiday season. On social media, for instance, you can offer helpful tips, healthy recipe ideas and motivational quotes to remind people of the importance of exercise no matter what time of the year it is!